Dr Pepper Ribs
Rub: (I halved the rub, and still had a ton left-over. I stuck the left-over in a bottle in my pantry and just labeled it so it would be ready for the next time).
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper (I might only use 1/8 if you don't like them super peppery, because they are super peppery!)
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons of mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
1/2 tsp dried jalapeno (that's what I had) or chipotle chili pepper (made from smoked dried jalapenos – you should be able to find it in the spice section of your grocery store)
1/2 teaspoon allspice
Coat the ribs with the rub (I coated medium light. This is DEFINITELY on the peppery side.), wrap in plastic and place in the refrigerator for at least four hours.
Make the glaze, and set aside: place all the glaze ingredients in a pan, bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes until thick and syrupy.
Glaze:
2 cups Dr Pepper
1 cup ketchup
1/8 cup mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon dried jalapeno pepper
5 drops liquid smoke
Two racks of ribs (I used boneless pork-ribs, they're my FAVORITE...and easier/cleaner to eat. You can buy these in smaller quantities, and are usually much cheaper too. *If you are just making this for 4-5 people, I would definitely HALF the sauce and the rub!).
1/4 cup Dr Pepper
GRILL: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bring ribs to room temperature (I put in the microwave for 1 minute to make them a little warmer). Put 1/4 cup (roughly) Dr. pepper in the bottom of your pan, and place ribs in pan. Bake covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour. (If you want your ribs even more tender, cook for 1.5-2 hours on 300). Take ribs out and spread glaze over, then barbecue on grill, turning and glazing frequently. Serve with left-over glaze.
OVEN: (without the BBQ): Turn oven onto 300. After an hour and a half, take the ribs out of the oven and spread some of the glaze on each side of the racks. Place back in the oven, meat side up and cook uncovered for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take out the ribs and spread more glaze over them and cook for 30 more minutes or until ribs are desired tenderness. At this point, take the ribs out of the oven, spread more glaze on them and then cook each side under the broiler for four minutes. Divide and serve!
CROCK POT: After rubbed-ribs have sat in refrigerator overnight, place them in your crock pot and cook on high 3 hours or low for 5-6. Drain juice, but leave ribs in crock pot. Add 1/2 of glaze and let cook additional 1-2 hours on high for 2-3 hours on low. Cook to desired tenderness. When ribs are done (if not too tender), you can place them on the grill or under the broiler for a few minutes and cook on each side (continue to glaze as desired). Serve with additional "glaze"/sauce as desired.

No comments:
Post a Comment