This is a yummy treat and I made it and tried it for the first time yesterday! You can buy rhubarb in the produce isle of HyVee on Jordan Creek Parkway. The HyVee on Mills Civic doesn't sell it, I found that out the hard way. You can double the recipe and it works just fine in a 9x13.
*Note-the green leaves on rhubarb are poisonous, so be sure to leave those out of the dish! :)
INGREDIENTS
Filling:
3 cups rhubarb, diced or sliced
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into small pieces
Topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter an 8 inch square dish.
2. To make the topping, in a medium bowl mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon. Stir in the melted butter to make a crumbly mixture. Spread half of the topping in the prepared dish. (I think next time I'll just put all of the topping on top, I didn't really see the point of putting it under the filling).
3. To make the filling, in a separate bowl gently toss the rhubarb and strawberries together and spread out into the dish.
4. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Sprinkle over the rhubarb and strawberries evenly. Top with the remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle the cold diced butter on top.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45-60 minutes, until the juice is bubbling and the topping is crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Serves 4-6.
(Adapted from Rustic Fruit Desserts)

No comments:
Post a Comment