I know what you are thinking, "chocolate chili?" I thought it too. But, since I wanted to try something different I wanted to give this recipe a whirl. This isn't your common chili. It has a spicy smokey kick but a tiny hint of sweetness. Don't worry, it doesn't taste like chocolate! It's different, but it was delicious!
Chipotle Chocolate Chili (Our Best Bites)
Chipotle Chocolate Chili (Our Best Bites)
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 14.5-oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz. can beef broth
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
Chipotle sauce (from the can of chipotle chilies)
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (1/2 unsweetened baking cube), chopped (optional; use to taste as needed; be careful, because too much will make your chili bitter) I didn't have any, so I omitted.
Light sour cream
Chopped green onions
avocado
avocado
3-4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
Shredded cheddar cheeseHeat about 1 TB of olive oil in a pot and saute the onions, minced bell pepper, and garlic. Add ground turkey and after it is cooked through add brown sugar, salt, pepper, chili powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, chipotle sauce, beef broth, tomatoes, and beans.
**If you can't tolerate spicy I would use half a can of the chipotle sauce. I think the best way to get the sauce off the chipotle peppers is to pour a little beef broth in the can with the chipotle peppers, stir it around and pour it out. Repeat to get more sauce out if you want.
Let all the ingredients simmer for 30-40 minutes, uncovered. When it has reached your desired thickness add the red wine vinegar and the chopped chocolate, if using. You can add more vinegar to cut the sweetness. Add your toppings and enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment