I've had a few requests for this, so rather than type this out a dozen times, I'm just going to post it here where all can see it. :)
CARAMEL APPLES
Ingredients:
8-10 apples (any kind - but I like green or Fuji the best) washed and dried
1 C. butter (salted)
2 1/4 C. brown sugar
dash salt
1 C. light corn syrup
1 - 15 oz. can sweet cream condensed milk
1 t. vanilla
Directions:
1. Wash and dry apples. Pull the stems out entirely (I use pliers and pull as close to the base as possible). Hammer the sticks into the apples and get it as straight up as possible (We're not playing around here, people. :) Put the apples into the freezer while you make the caramel. (THIS IS THE SECRET KEY! THIS MAKES THE CARAMEL NOT RUN OFF THE APPLE. SORRY I'M YELLING ABOUT IT, THOUGH!! :)
2. Melt the butter. Add the sugar and salt. Stir.
3. Add corn syrup and mix in completely.
4. Gradually add the sweet cream condensed milk - stirring constantly.
5. Cook on medium heat for 12-15min. (245 degrees on a candy thermometer.)
*Plug: get a candy thermometer. If you use a 40% off Michael's coupon, they're about $7. They are so worth it. I ruined many a batch of caramel apples before I got mine and they've been good since.
6. Remove. Add vanilla.
7. Here comes the tricky party. Quickly remove the apples from the freezer and dip the apple into the caramel holding it by the stick. You may need to tip the pan a little bit to get the caramel to go all the way to the top of the apple. Once it is covered, twist it as fast as you can with the stick between both hands (picture the way you would do it like you're warming your hands over a fire). The excess caramel will fly off it (so be careful!).
8. Set them on parchment paper (NOT wax paper - unless you like the taste of wax paper, because they will stick).
9. Let them cool for at least 30 min. (Don't worry your pretty little head if there are bubbles/lumps in the caramel. It won't show.)
10. Melt your chocolate. I use white almond bark (it tastes the best). Follow the directions on the package and melt it till it's runny. (If you over-cook it, it will become lumpy and thick. Thin it out with olive oil. If it still won't cooperate, start over. I know it hurts dumping the whole pathetic chunk into the garbage can. But it is dead. Let it go and start over.)
11. Once it is properly melted, get a spoon and start drizzling. The best way to do it is to turn the apple at an angle and then use the spoon like you would use a marker and just quickly draw lines from the top to the bottom of the apple while you rotate it by the stick. Go all the way around.
12. Drop your toppings on it (the possibilities are endless. Favorites include: Reese's, Butterfinger, Oreo, M&M's, Reese's Pieces, Snickers, and cinnamon sugar.)
If your toppings run off the chocolate, stick the chocolate in the fridge/freezer for a minute till it's a little more solid. Then go at it.
13. Try not to eat all 8 of them in one night. I know; I've tried. :)
Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment