Did you ever make "homemade ice cream" in your junior high science class? While I very much wish I had an ice cream machine, unfortunately I do not. So, how could we make homemade ice cream as a family activity?? I thought back to my 8th grade science class, and thought that my family might enjoy doing this:
HOMEMADE ICE CREAM (in a bag)
1/2 cup reduced-fat (I used 1%) or whole milk
2 Tbs sugar
1 quart sized resealable bag (1 for each person making ice cream)
1 gallon-sized resealable bag (1 for each person making ice cream)
1/4 tsp vanilla or 1/2 Tbs cocoa powder
About 2 trays ice cubes
6 tablespoons rock salt
Optional: peanutbutter or chocolate chips, flavored syrups, flavorin extracts
Put milk and sugar in quart sized bag and seal it. For vanilla ice cream, add vanilla extract; for chocolate ice cream, add cocoa powder. Throw in 1/4 chocolate chips if desired. You could also experiement with other flavors by using about 1/2 tsp flavored syrpus like strawberry or caramel, or extras like lemon, mint, or almond.
Put ice and rock salt in gallon-sized bag. Put smaller bag inside bigger bag and seal it. Shake larger bag vigorously for 7-10 minutes. Wear gloves if you want, or wrap the bag in a towel...because it's going to be cold!!! Remove the small bag, which is now ice cream!! Snip a hole in corner of the bag and squeeze it into a dish. Makes one serving of soft-serve consistency ice cream! Enjoy! We sure did!!!
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment