Friday, February 26, 2010

Basil Shrimp with feta and orzo


This is one of our family favorites. WARNING this recipe only feeds 2!
1 reg size foil bag (I don't use this I just line the bottom of a 9x13 pan with foil that I have sprayed with Pam, after all ingredients are in I put another piece of foil sprayed with Pam on top and fold over the sides to make my own bag)
Cooking spray
1/2 c. uncooked orzo pasta (it's the rice shaped pasta)
2 Tbl olive oil, divided
1 c diced tomatoes
3/4 c sliced green onions
1/2 c (2oz) feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbl fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (just use whatever is on sale, I use frozen, that I thaw out, since we can't get fresh) If you are feeding kids, take off the tail for easier eating (keeping the tail on just makes it look prettier because they hold there form better.)
1/4 c fresh basil (I just use smaller amount of dried, it's cheaper, but probably tastes better with fresh)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat inside of bag (or foil) with cooking spray. Place bag on a large shallow baking dish (or line bottom of 9x13 with the sprayed foil). Cook pasta in boiling water for 5 min (follow this to a T! If not, you will have slimy pasta, yuck.)- do not use fat or salt. Drain. Place pasta in a large bowl. Stir in 1 Tbl of oil and the next 7 ingredients(to black pepper). Place orzo mixture into foil bag (or lay on top of foil in pan). Mix shrimp and basil. Arrange shrimp on top of orzo. Fold edges of bag to seal (or place another foil piece on top and seal shut). Bake @ 450 degrees for 25 minutes. Cut bag open in the middle with a knife to let steam out, the pull back. Drizzle with 1 Tbl of olive oil. We used to like to eat it with baby spinach underneath (like in the picture) but now I cut it up and add it to the mixture before it is cooked.

No comments: